An essential companion to Michael Jackson’s music, films, and books, this work offers 21 original, academic essays on all things Jackson—from film, music, and dance to fashion, culture, and literature.
Michael Jackson is the biggest-selling music artist ever. What qualities made him a star—and fuel his continuing influence?
Michael Jackson is regarded as one of the most important musicians of our time. Going well beyond the average celebrity biography, this comprehensive book looks at why that is true, offering insights into every facet of Jackson’s art, his life, and his artistic afterlife. It looks at the methods by which his work was created, presented, received, and appropriated, and discusses Jackson’s varied personas along with his public and private appearances, albums, conceptual art, short films, and dance, as well as his use of costume, makeup, and reinvention.
To help readers understand the phenomenon that was—and is—Michael Jackson, the book focuses on Jackson’s historical context through an analysis of his films, songs, and books, examining him as an artist and shedding light on the political and ideological debates that surrounded him. Not shying away from the controversial aspects of Jackson’s life and legacy, it also tackles questions of sexuality and racism, gender, and class, comparing Jackson to artists ranging from J. S. Bach to Andy Warhol. Through its examination of Jackson’s entire catalog, the work connects all the aspects of his art and life to exemplify—and explain—the performer’s unparalleled influence in the 20th and 21st centuries.
•Foreword by academic, Dr. Joseph Vogel, author of Amazon bestseller, Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson
• Exclusive illustrations.
• Takes a sophisticated, academic approach to understanding Jackson’s art and life, providing insights into his entire body of work from a perspective never before available outside of music/culture journals.
• Concentrates on aspects of Jackson’s art that have not previously been researched, such as his use of costumes and clothing, his poetry, and his function as an auteur.
• Includes a section focused on Jackson’s posthumous work and representation.
• Connects with the study of literature, including a unique appendix of academic research into high-status black representation on the early modern stage, and the work of William Shakespeare and Ben Jonson.
Testimonials & Reviews
Exclusive New Article: Throwing Stones Revisited
Interviews with Elizabeth Amisu
The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson ‘Timeline’
- October 11, 2017: The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies publishes a highly detailed 8-page academic review of Dangerous Philosophies.
- September 30, 2017 – Author Discussion: Celebrating the Dangerous Philosophies: Part 2
- September 24, 2017: Elizabeth publishes a brand new Dangerous Philosophies article: ‘Throwing Stones to Hide Your Hands’ Revisited.
- September 21, 2017 – Author Discussion: Celebrating the Dangerous Philosophies: Part 1.
- August, 2017: Elizabeth steps down as Editor of The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies.
- July 21, 2017: The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies celebrates its third anniversary. It now boasts 150+ online courses, academic essay articles, reviews, interviews, and podcasts. It has 32 contributors, 900 Facebook followers, and 230 members.
- May 28, 2017: Acclaimed Michael Jackson blogger and reviewer, @Overloved publishes an extensive academic review of Dangerous Philosophies.
- Spring, 2017: Dangerous Philosophies is archived at the British Library in London. It is also featured in University College London’s The Londonian.
- December 16, 2016: Elizabeth appears in The MJCast Ep. 48 – Season Two Christmas Special.
- December 12, 2016 – The MJCast Ep. 47 ‘Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson’ Special with Elizabeth Amisu
- December 3, 2016 – Elizabeth is a guest panelist in The MJCast Ep. 46 – Dangerous 25 Roundtable (Part 2)
- November 26, 2016 – Elizabeth is a guest panelist in The MJCast Ep. 45 – Dangerous 25 Roundtable (Part 1)
- November 21, 2016 – Elizabeth launches her final online course in Michael Jackson Studies, Michael Jackson’s ‘Invincible’. In just six months she has launched 14 groundbreaking online courses and bundles.
- October 16, 2016 – Dangerous Philosophies is featured in The MJ Cast Espanol: Episodio 004 – Rod with You.
- September 30, 2016 – Dangerous Philosophies is released by Praeger, an imprint of ABC-CLIO. Author Interview: Michael Jackson’s Dream Lives On: Episode 16 – A Celebration of the Book Release of ‘The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson’
- September 17, 2016 – Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson: 21-Lesson Online Course is published via Online Arts Education.
- September 13, 2016 – Elizabeth appears at 2016’s Kingvention at the Park Plaza Hotel, Victoria, London. Author Interview: Michael Jackson’s Dream Lives On: Episode 15 – MJAS Exclusive: Live from Kingvention 2016‘
- August 7, 2016 – Author Interview: Michael Jackson’s Dream Lives On: Episode 12 – MJ Academy: ‘The Dangerous Philosophies’ Pt. 2′
- July 7, 2016 – Author Interview: Michael Jackson’s Dream Lives On: 11 – Author & Text: ‘The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson’ Pt. 1′
- July 23, 2016: Mentioned in The MJ Cast Ep. 36 The Other Bernie Sanders (18:16)
- June 25, 2016: Mentioned in The MJ Cast Ep. 34 June 25th Special feat. Kevin Stea (2:00:06)
- June 16, 2016: Elizabeth transcribes, edits and publishes the first print publication of The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies – Michael Jackson and Prince.
- May 4, 2016: Elizabeth launches the world’s first online academic course in Michael Jackson Studies, An Introduction to Michael Jackson Studies.
- March 24, 2016: Michael Jackson’s Dream Lives On: An Academic Conversation is featured on the iTunes ‘New and Noteworthy’ list.
- February 17, 2016: Mentioned in The MJCast Ep. 24 They’ve Got Chalk to Sell (02:19:00)
- January 13, 2016: Online magazine, MJ Vibe features The Dangerous Philosophies of Michael Jackson
- January 7, 2016: First book discussion in Michael Jackson’s Dream Lives On: Episode 2 – 2015 Recap: Past, Present And Future Book 1
- Autumn, 2015: Elizabeth writes and edits A Companion to Michael Jackson Academic Studies I.
- June 25, 2015: First Michael Jackson’s Dream Lives On: An Academic Conversation podcast episode airs via iTunes, Was Michael Jackson an Artist?
- July 21, 2014: The Journal of Michael Jackson Academic Studies is launched online.
- July 7, 2014: Elizabeth publishes the second chapter of Dangerous Philosophies: ‘On Michael Jackson’s Dancing the Dream’
- June 11, 2014: Elizabeth publishes the first chapter of Dangerous Philosophies: ‘Throwing Stones to Hide Your Hands’: The Mortal Persona of Michael Jackson.
Explore the first academic textbook on Michael Jackson’s life, art and afterlife with the author, Elizabeth Amisu. This course that will take your knowledge to the next level, so you can use it to write, learn and gain a specific and detailed understanding.
Exclusive Signed Collector’s Hardback Copies