Who is a Michael Jackson Academic?
Someone who 1) views Michael Jackson as an artist 2) studies his art and writes critical discourse on it 3) values this body of work for its significant cultural impact in the twenty-first century.
WILLA STILLWATER & JOIE COLLINS
Willa Stillwater is the author of M Poetica: Michael Jackson’s Art of Connection and Defiance and “Rereading Michael Jackson,” an article that summarizes some of the central ideas of M Poetica. She has a Ph.D. in English literature, and her doctoral research focused on the ways in which cultural narratives (such as racism) are made real for us by being “written” on our bodies.
Joie Collins is one of the founding Team Members of the Michael Jackson Fan Club (MJFC). She has written extensively for MJFC, helping to create the original website back in 1999 and overseeing both the News and History sections of the website.
© 2014 Dancing with the Elephant
Why? When it come to writing about Michael Jackson’s lifetime of art the single most comprehensive source available is Dancing with the Elephant. This website is a veritable Encyclopedia Britannica of sources, seminars and discussions interlaced with relevant and rare video footage, book excerpts and contributions from readers the world over.
Whether I’m writing about Michael Jackson‘s first published song, Blues Away or his Smooth Criminal short film I always start with Dancing with the Elephant. This has become my golden rule. The site is so fantastic it’s also referenced in Joseph Vogel’s Man in the Music and Earth Song: Inside Michael Jackson’s Magnum Opus.
Where? Willa and Joie can be found at their blog where they frequently communicate with their readers.
– ‘Rereading Michael Jackson’ (MJFC, 2011) <http://dancingwiththeelephant.wordpress.com/rereading-michael-jackson> [accessed 17 June 2014]
Stillwater, Willa and Joie Collins (et al.):
- ‘Can a Mirror Reveal the Truth?’, Dancing With the Elephant, 10 April 2014 <http://dancingwiththeelephant.wordpress.com/2014/04/10/can-a-mirror-reveal-the-truth/> [accessed 27 July 2014]
- ‘Michael Jackson: Subverting Blackface Stereotypes’, Dancing With the Elephant, 2 January 2014 <http://dancingwiththeelephant.wordpress.com/2014/01/02/michael-jackson-and-the-blackface-mask/> [accessed 27 July 2014]
- ‘A Conversation about Queerness with Susan Fast’, Dancing With the Elephant, 14 November 2012 <https://dancingwiththeelephant.wordpress.com/2012/11/14/a-conversation-about-queerness-with-susan-fast> [accessed 19 June 2014]
- ‘MJ’s Art: Taking Us Higher’, Dancing With the Elephant, 4 April 2012 <http://dancingwiththeelephant.wordpress.com/2012/04/04/mjs-art-taking-us-higher/> [accessed 8 July 2014]
- ‘Man in the Music: Joe Vogel’s Masterpiece’, 24 November 2011 <https://dancingwiththeelephant.wordpress.com/2011/11/24/man-in-the-music-joe-vogels-masterpiece/> [accessed 19 June 2014]
COMING SOON: Bonus Track – MJ Academics of Note
Have you read and researched Michael? Share your story in the comments.