Who is a Michael Jackson Academic?
Someone who 1) views Michael Jackson as an artist 2) studies his art and writes critical discourse on it 3) values this body of work for its significant cultural impact in the twenty-first century.
Who? Multi-award winning writer. Described by media experts as a livewire and a credit to his profession, Charles has won accolades as an investigative journalist, a court reporter and feature writer, establishing him as one of Britain’s brightest young media professionals. ©2014 http://charles-thomson.net
Why? The tabloid/mainstream media was where Michael Jackson fought his most difficult and longest battles. It was a battle he eventually lost, as publications who had speculated and sensationalised about every single aspect of his life and death while diminishing his artistic contributions with the use of the words ‘eccentric’ and ‘wacko’ instead of ‘maverick’ and ‘virtuoso’.
Charles Thomson is an investigative journalist who revealed the shady circumstances which created the This Is It film and that Jackson’s appearance had been manipulated to make him look as though he was still relatively healthy. He specialises in revelations of the truth and his investigative skills have shown the great extent to which elements of the media attempted to distort Jackson’s life, death and legacy.
Greatest Hits – ‘One of the Most Shameful Episodes in Journalistic History’, The Huffington Post. 13 June 2010 and ‘Michael Jackson: It’s Time for Media Outlets to Take Responsibility in Covering the Rock Star’,Huffington Post. 2 March 2010
- ‘One of the Most Shameful Episodes in Journalistic History’, The Huffington Post. 13 June 2010
- Conjuring a Chorus of Boos: The Truth About Michael Jackson’s UK Comeback’, 17 November 2013 <http://charlesthomsonjournalist.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/the-truth-about-michael-jacksons-uk.html> [accessed 18 June 2014]
- ‘Video: Thomas Mesereau Interview’, The Diary of a Fledgling Reporter. 17 October 2011
- ‘Michael Jackson’s ‘One More Chance’: A Dream that Turned into a Nightmare (part 1 of 4)’, Sawf News. 30 November 2010
- ‘Michael Jackson: It’s Time for Media Outlets to Take Responsibility in Covering the Rock Star’,Huffington Post. 2 March 2010
- ‘One of the Most Shameful Episodes in Journalistic History’, Huffington Post. June 2010
- ‘Play that Funky Music, White Girl’, Sawf News. 13 March 2010
- ‘FBI File Reveals Attempt to Convict Jackson with Racist Law’, The Diary of a Fledgling Reporter. 3 January 2010
- FBI Files Support Jackson’s Innocence; Media Reports Otherwise. The Diary of a Fledgling Reporter. January 2, 2010
COMING SOON: Willa Stillwater & Joie Collins, Bonus Track – MJ Academics of Note
Have you read and researched Michael? Share your story in the comments.