Who is a Michael Jackson Academic?
Someone who 1) views Michael Jackson as an artist 2) studies his art and writes critical discourse on it 3) values this body of work for its significant cultural impact in the twenty-first century.
© 2014 www.joevogel.net
Who? A literary and cultural critic and author of the critically acclaimed book, Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson. His work has appeared in The Atlantic, Slate, The Huffington Post, and PopMatters, among other publications. He holds a PhD in American Literature and Culture from the University of Rochester. © 2014 www.joevogel.net
Why? Joseph Vogel is nothing short of a breath of fresh air. His work reminds us that Michael Jackson was the William Shakespeare of the 21st century. His playhouse was the eyes and ears of television screens and record players/walkmans/CD-players/mp3-players for forty solid years. For me, Vogel will always be the greatest MJAcademic because he was actively pursuing Michael’s artistic representation, presenting Jacksonism and MJ Studies long before it was remotely fashionable to do so.
Vogel never skips a beat. His research is impeccable. The level of understanding and insight in his work is always accessible and informative. No matter whether you read a blog, article or one of his books you will not be disappointed.
Greatest Hit – Man In The Music At the top of my secondary reading list for all students of Jacksonism. This book is an incredibly comprehensive analysis of Michael’s creative process album-by-album with the cultural significance and context of his creations.
– ‘How Michael Jackson Made ‘Bad’’, The Atlantic, 10 September 2012, ‘theatlantictimes.com’, <http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/09/how-michael-jackson-made-bad/262162/2/> [accessed 15 May 2014]
– ‘Abortion, Fame, and ‘Bad’: Listening to Michael Jackson’s Unreleased Demos’, The Atlantic, 10 September 2012, ‘theatlantictimes.com’, <http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/09/abortion-fame-and-bad-listening-to-michael-jacksons-unreleased-demos/262242/> [accessed 15 May 2014].
– ‘The Misunderstood Power of Michael Jackson’s Music.’ The Atlantic. 8 February 2012
– Featuring Michael Jackson: Collected Writings on the King of Pop (Baldwin Books, 2012)
– ‘Am I the Beast You Visualized? The Cultural Abuse of Michael Jackson’, The Huffington Post. 2 November, 2011
– Earth Song: Inside Michael Jackson’s Magnum Opus (BlakeVision Books, 2011)
– Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson (Sterling, 2011)
COMING SOON: Syl Mortilla, Adrian Grant, Barbara Kauffman, Jeremy Gilbert, Michael Bush, Armond White, Susan Fast, Zack O. Greenburg, Charles Thompson, Willa Stillwater & Joie Collins, Bonus Track – MJ Academics of Note
Are you an MJAcademic? Share your story in the comments.